Piedmont Arts is hosting a photography contest based on the artwork of famed American landscape photographer Ansel Adams, whose work is on display at the museum through February 27, 2021 in the exhibit, Ansel Adams: Compositions in Nature.
Students from Martinsville-Henry County in grades 6–12 may enter the contest, which is sponsored by Carter Bank & Trust. Submissions are due by 5 pm on February 19, 2021. Entries will be judged by staff members of Piedmont Arts and Carter Bank & Trust. Contest winners will be notified by phone and announced at the closing reception for Ansel Adams: Compositions in Nature on February 26, 2021.
1st Prize: $100
2nd Prize: $50
3rd Prize: $25
All winning photographs will be printed, framed, and displayed in Piedmont Arts’ Foster Gallery.
Contest Rules + Guidelines:
- One entry per student.
- Photographs should be black and white.
- Photographs should look like photographs and should not be distorted through effects to look like paintings or drawings.
- Pay attention to clarity. Ansel Adams rejected soft, ethereal photography. All his images have crisp, clear details in the foreground and background.
- Pay attention to perspective. Ansel Adams kept the horizon line high in his photographs to diminish the sky and emphasize the epic scale of the landscape.
- Evoke emotion. Ansel Adams wanted his photographs to capture the way a scene felt, not the way it looked.
To enter, visit PiedmontArts.org and follow the link under the “Education + Classes” tab.
Piedmont Arts is a nonprofit art museum in Martinsville.