Work has begun on the Virginia Avenue Transportation Enhancement project in Henry County.
The project is a joint effort between Henry County and the Virginia Department of Transportation. It will beautify and upgrade a section of Virginia Avenue centered on the Kings Mountain Road intersection.
The project will consist of the following items:
• Installation of a Collinsville entrance sign
• New curb/gutter/sidewalk sections from Alma Boulevard to Kings Mountain Road
• Two crosswalks at the intersection of Kings Mountain Road and Virginia Avenue and new pedestrian signage at the crosswalks
• Installation of a pedestrian refuge median on Virginia Avenue between Fenderz Restaurant and Walgreens
• Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) detectable warning surfaces
• Landscaping along Virginia Avenue between the new Collinsville entrance sign and the pedestrian refuge median
In addition, new internally-lit street signs will be installed at seven intersections along Virginia Avenue, from Kings Mountain Road to Commonwealth Boulevard. Work on the project started May 6 and final completion is expected in October.
“We are excited to work with VDOT on this effort,” said County Administrator Tim Hall. “This stretch of Virginia Avenue serves as the ‘front door’ to our community for many of our visitors, and we want them to see us at our best.”