By Brandon Martin
Emergency responders extinguished a fire that broke out at the FasMart/Valero gas station on Virginia Avenue in Collinsville on Dec. 17.
The call was received at approximately 9:40 a.m., and the cause has yet to be determined.
“The area of origin was in the back office,” said Kiah Cooper, assistant fire marshal for Henry County Public Safety.
The blaze was contained to the attic. There were no injuries, and everyone evacuated from the store. The building sustained damage, but is salvageable, officials at the scene said.
“There was heat, smoke and water damage to the building. About a quarter to half was damaged by flames but the structure was saved. All product and the ceiling will probably have to be replaced.”
There were no injuries and the fire was contained to the building.
Cooper said that fire crews’ execution led to success in extinguishing the blaze.
“Our biggest need was manpower,” he said. “We had plenty of water supply. We were able to successfully eliminate oxygen for the fire. Our main objective was doing that and making sure our responders were safe. At the end of the day, it’s just a building and I’m glad nobody was hurt while extinguishing the fire.”
Crews from Collinsville Volunteer Fire Department, Fieldale Volunteer Fire Department, Ridgeway District Volunteer Fire Department, Horsepasture Volunteer Fire Department, Martinsville Fire and EMS Department, Bassett Rescue Squad and Henry County Public Safety also responded.